If you hold current active practising registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in another Canadian jurisdiction, or as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) in Ontario, and wish to practice as a LPN in Prince Edward Island, you must apply to the Prince Edward Island Licensed Practical Nurses Registration Board for a license. Licensed Practical Nurses in Prince Edward Island are required to maintain currency of professional knowledge and skill requirement by the completion of a minimum of 1,000 hours of practice in the previous five years or 500 hours of practice in a single consecutive period in the previous two years. Information on the licensing process is below.
If you are moving to Prince Edward Island from another country, please see information on the application process for internationally educated nurses
The Licensing Process
You may not orientate or work as a LPN in Prince Edward Island until you have been granted a license by the PEILPNRB. All steps in the licensing application process must be complete in order for your license to be granted. These are:
- opening and paying for your licensing application;
- completing your licensing application;
- having your completed licensing application reviewed;
- applying and paying for your registration as an active practising LPN, and
- having your registration approved.
All applicants must use the forms provided by the PEILPNRB.
Please be sure to read each document carefully and note that some documents must be submitted by you and others by third parties. If you require further information, please contact the Registrar by email email@example.com or by phone at 902-566-1512
- Canadian Application Form please complete this form and submit it along with your one hundred and fifty dollar ($150) application fee, proof of legal name, government issued photo ID, proof of immigration status or Canadian citizenship, and English language test scores from a Board-approved language proficiency test (if applicable) in order to open your licensing application file.
- Canadian Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search. Please be aware that to be accepted by the PEILPNRB, these documents must have been issued within three (3) months of the date they are provided to the PEILPNRB.
- Verification of Registration you must provide this form to your current or most recent licensing authority, and any authority with whom you have been licensed/registered with. Each of these licensing authorities must fill out the form and return it directly to the PEILPNRB.
- Employment Verification you must provide this form to your current or most recent employer, and to any employer for whom you have worked in the last five (5) years. Each of these employers must fill out the form and return it directly to the PEILPNRB.
If you have any questions regarding these documents, or require further information, please contact the Board by email or by phone at 902-566-1512.