Lifelong learning is essential to a nurse’s continuing competence.
PEILPNRB exists to ensure that Prince Edward Island LPNs retain and continuously build upon their knowledge, judgment and skill. The program also ensures that LPNs remain up-to-date on evolving evidence and best-practice in their field. This contributes to high-quality, safe care for Islanders.
PEI LPNs maintain and build their competence by:
- maintaining a professional portfolio,
- applying their knowledge, judgment and skill through active practice
(Maintain 1,000 practice hours over 5 years or 500 hours of practice in a single consecutive period in the previous two years.)
- completing self-assessments
- developing personal professional learning plans, and
- meeting their learning goals.
All LPNs participate in these activities every year to maintain their registration with the PEILPNRB.